Day 3.

Early dawn on the morning of day 3.

Crouched down by the fire.

A young calf curled up.

A Mundari girl with a milk jug.

Seeking some warmth from a smouldering dung fire.

A Mundari boy wearing a FC Barcelona shirt.

Blowing air into a cow, a practise common in parts of Africa and Asia to induce milk production.

Chopping more wood for the fire.

Beginning the morning tasks.

A portrait in the soft light of dawn.

Trying to move an uncooperative bull.

Mother and baby.

Sleeping in.

Cleaning the ears for flies and insects.

Posing for a photo with one of the larger bulls in the camp. The horns are cut when the bull is young and growing to achieve the visible asymmentry.

A calf suckling from their mother while she is being dusted down.


Around the dung fire mound.

The morning sun now rising into the sky.

Still asleep.

Ashen faced.

A Mundari woman washing with fresh cow urine.

While there is water available nearby from the White Nile, the Mundari people believe that cow urine has health and medicinal benefits and hence choose to wash in it instead.

Posing for a photo with the pride of the herd.

The Ankole-Watusi breed of cattle traces their ancestry back more than 6,000 years to the Egyptian Longhorn of the Nile Valley and humped cattle originally from Pakistan and India.

Enjoying a tasty paratha and egg roll for breakfast.

A Mundari girl beginning the morning milking.

A photo of our Mundari guide / fixer, Fedrick. He first client as a guide was English photographer Jimmy Nelson.

He said he had received his traditional scarring on his forehead at 7 years of age as a young boy.

Blowing into a cow. It was quite a sight watching them do this without flinching!

Helping himself to breakfast.

Milk moustache.

Making the most of my ultra-wide lens for an environmental group portrait.

The Ankole-Watusi typically only produce 2 pints (~1 litre) of milk per day.

This compares to 30-60 litres a day for typical dairy cows.

The milk from Ankole-Watusi cows is much richer however at 10% fat content versus 3.5% in typical dairy cows.

A Mundari girl pausing for a photo amongst the herd.

Boy and girl.

The cattle heading out again late morning for a day of grazing.

With the shepherd closely behind.

The cows knew which way to go to head to the pastures.

Keeping a watch on the herd as they munch away in the grassy field.

The field was waterlogged but the cattle had no issues walking through the muddy grass.

I then walked back to camp again after a few wrong turns and almost getting lost.

A tasty and filling lunch again prepared by Samson.

And some bananas.

A inquisitive and vocal chicken waking me up after my afternoon nap.

Fetching foliage to feed the animals.

A little one carrying more than his fair share.

And the goats enjoying the fresh green leaves.

A newborn lamb still wet from the afterbirth.

The dung fires now smoking away after cleaning up the goat and sheep area.

A little calf getting a little push and guidance.

And tied down for the day.

Restocking the firewood.

The warm glow from the setting sun now shining down on the camp.

Unknotting one of the ropes to secure one of the calves.

Chasing a wayward bull.

With a little help from a big stick.

Tying up one of the last of the cattle.

Portrait with one of the bulls.

A pair of young calves being tied down for the night.

And a reluctant portrait with a Mundari woman.

The thick white smoke wafting through the camp.

And the golden sunlight casting a warm glow .

Lassoing a rope around the neck of a calf.

Batting down a stake securing one of the cows.

It was great to watch and photograph both from a distance and up close the bustle of people working in the camp.

Taking turns sucking milk from the goat.

The last few cattle now roaming into the camp.

And the sun about disappear for the day as the last of the cattle are corraled into place.

Getting an injection.

Making sure the newborn lamb is well fed. It was interesting to see them blow air into the mouth of the sheep to get it to expel milk.

Carrying a sack of rice on her way to prepare dinner.

Fedrick relaxing for a portrait.

With all cattle now secured and dusk well underway it was finally the end of the working day.

We then sat down for dinner as the last light of dusk slowly disappeared.

And enjoyed some beef stew, maize pap and spaghetti for dinner.

As night fell the men started a large crackling fire.

The condition of the ailing calf that had woken me from my afternoon nap the day before had unfortunately not improved. Rather than wait for it to die they had decided to butcher it.

And it was now tonight's barbecue dinner for the camp at the end of day 3.

Day 4.

A man smoking a pipe at dawn on the morning of our last day with the Mundari.

A Mundari boy nestled in amongst the cattle.

Hammering down the stakes.

Cleaning the AK-47.

Chewing on a twig or miswak stick to clean his teeth.

The seemingly endless task of collecting the morning dung again.

Dusting down amid a forest of cattle horns.

Carrying a pot of fresh dung.

A trio of boys sitting around the campfire.

Brewing some morning coffee.

The newly born lamb now under care of one of the Mundari boys.

Daily dust up.

Morning chew.

All wrapped up.

Sitting down for our last breakfast with fruit, pancakes and freshly fried donuts.

Playing with a puppy.

Starting the morning's milking.

Cleaning the little one's teeth.

Crouching down to milk a cow.

Posing for a photo with one of his cows. My trip to visit the Mundari had easily been one of my top cultural and photographic experiences of all my travels.

Javier getting an action close up with his GoPro with some of the kids looking on.

Some of the Mundari men walking through the camp.

As well as protection, the large horns also act as radiators with blood circulating through the horn area being cooled and allowing excess body heat to be dispersed.

Inflating a cow again from behind.

After one last photo of the camp we packed up our tents and bags to get ready to leave.

I had some granola bars and potato chips that I had brought but didn't eat so Fedrick dispensed them to some of the kids.

After farewelling the Mundari people and thanking them for their hospitality we started our way back to the city.

On the main road south.

And back in the capital of Juba.

At Quality Hotel Juba where Javier was staying the night before his flight to Dar es Salaam tomorrow.

I was keen to have a shower and shave before my flight back to Dubai this afternoon so Javier kindly let me use the bathrom in his room.

A group photo before saying farewell to Javier and Samson.

For lunch myself and Fedrick headed to the restaurant at the AFEX River Camp.

The famous riverboat wreck on the Nile that I had seen many times before from other people trips to Juba.

And I couldn't resist satisfying my sweet tooth with a selection of desserts from the buffet.

Laurence and Fedrick then dropped me off back at the airport and where I thanked them for extraordinary and unforgettable experience.

After only a 2 minute wait to check in I then proceeded through immigration after a minor hiccup when I forgot to show my police registration.

Airside with boarding pass to Addis Ababa.

Boarding the ET De Havilland Dash 8 after a short bus ride across the tarmac.

And departing Juba after a memorable and truly amazing trip to South Sudan!

Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In